The Marangu route on Mount Kilimanjaro is also known as the “Coca Cola route”. Your accommodation will on this trek be in huts.
- An early start with a drive to Marangu gate. Begin trekking through the rain forests for 3-4 hours to Mandara hut. Overnight at Mandara Hut (2700 m)
- After breakfast, leave the glades of the rain forest and continue trekking past the Maundi crater into open rolling moorland. The trek takes about 5-6 hours to Horombo hut overnight. (Here, an extra day for acclimatization is recommended). Overnight at Horombo Hut (3807 m)
- After a good night’s rest, trek past the last water point to reach Kibo saddle, a broad desert zone between the two peaks of Kibo and Mawenzi. Kibo hut is reached in 5-6 hours. Overnight. Overnight at Kibo Hut
- The trek to the summit starts just after midnight. The steepest part of the route is to Gillman’s point (5700m), which takes 5-6 hours. After another 90 minutes of groveling through the snow, you are at Uhuru peak (5895m) – the highest point in Africa! The descent takes about 5-6 hours to Horombo hut. Overnight at Horombo Hut (3807 m)
- The day is spent descending the Marangu route to the Marangu gate. Transfer to Arusha. End of tour!
Leave a reply