Machame route on Mount Kilimanjaro is a little harder than the Marangu route and is well known as the “Whisky route”. Your accommodation will be in spacious tents. We also provide chairs, tables, and dining tents for your comfort.
- An early start with a drive to Machame gate. Begin trekking through the rain forests on a winding trail for 5-7 hours until you arrive at Machame Campsite. Overnight at Machame Camp (3100 m)
- After breakfast, leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing a little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge covered with heather until the end of the ridge. The route then turns west onto a river gorge at 3658m (5-7 hours). Overnight at the Shira Campsite. Overnight at Shira Camp
- From the Shira plateau continue trekking east towards the lava tower called “the shark’s tooth”. Shortly after the tower, you come to a junction leading to the arrow glacier. Continue to Barranco Campsite overnight. (5-7 hours). Overnight at Barranco Camp (3950 m)
- Leaving Barranco to continue walking on a steep ridge passing the Barranco Wall, through the Karanga Valley and the junction which is connected to the Barafu Campsite for overnight (8-9 hours). The two peaks, Mawenzi and Kibo can be seen from this point. Overnight at Barafu Camp (4600 m)
- Just after midnight trek past the Stella point (5745m) on the way to the summit, the Uhuru peak. This part of the climb takes about 8 hours. You have now reached the highest point in Africa at 5895 meters!!! From the summit descend to Mweka Campsite (3100m) overnight, this takes about 5 hours. Overnight at Mweka Camp (3100 m)
- The day is spent descending to the Mweka park gates (3-4 hours). Transfer to Arusha.
End of tour!
From August there is a fixed date for a climb 1 time every month and from February 2 fixed departures every month. If you wish to go on other days you are welcome to choose this program, which has open dates and will be an individual booking for you only.